A machinist working at a refinery was infected with bacteria in cutting fluid at a lathe after immersing his hands into the fluid in order to remove metal cuttings. The machinist was admitted to a local hospital with a deep tissue infection and a fever of 103 degrees. He was treated with potent antibiotics and responded well. The incident resulted in an LTOI (Lost Time Occupational Illness) with three days of work missed. The doctors report noted that had the machinist waited another 18-24 hours to seek medical treatment, he might have lost a finger, or even his whole hand to the infection.