In the early hours of 1st January 2005 two men were working (night shift) in the utility shaft of the Brent Bravo offshore platform when a minor amount of H2S gas was detected on a portable gas detector at the worksite. Although none of the fixed gas detectors in the shaft registered the presence of gas, the men, in strict compliance with procedures, donned their re-breather equipment and began to evacuate the shaft. One of the men stopped climbing the stairs before reaching the top of the shaft. An emergency response team was sent to help. CPR was administered but unfortunately he was later pronounced dead. The cause of death was coronary artery thrombosis and the investigation concluded the incident to be 'non-accidental'
The attached presentation was given by Greg Hill (EPE Production Director) to all Offshore Installation Managers to provide details of what happened and to share learning from the incident.